Since bar trivia is a popular night out here for many, I will go into more detail on that then give you a few other options below.
For a small island, I would say Ambergris Caye has a high population of smart people. There many groups that meet up weekly with the shared interest of claiming bragging rights and decent cash prizes 🙂 Twice a week they have the opportunity to test their skills with the trivia hosts quizzing local and tourist teams with random interesting questions about the world we live on. Test your knowledge weekly against fellow trivia buffs at the following local bars:
- Coco Loco’s Tuesday Night Tacos n Trivia: The only trivia game north of the bridge. Fill up on tacos from Little Place Big Taste. Start time for the game is 5:00 PM, which is smack dab in the middle of happy “hour” (4:00 – 6:00). There is $5 buy-in, and teams can be up to 4 people. New owner Charles hosts this event.
- Crazy Canucks Friday Trivioke: Start time 7:00 PM but it is wise to get there early to get a good spot as “Trivioke” (trivia then karaoke) is a popular night and is usually packed. 4 people to a team at $5 each, to play. The first 3 weeks of the month, 1/2 the proceeds go to Ambergris Caye Elementary School and the last Friday of every month part of the proceeds go a different local charity. Owner Rob gives 3 rounds of 7 questions each, and a speed round at the end. The winners of each round each get a specially made shot. In the case of a tie, one player from each team has a drinking or some other type of fun challenge for that coveted shot.
A Sampling of Questions:
- What is the inflammation of the lining surrounding the lungs called?
- Who is Spiderman’s alter ego?
- What do you call a group of porcupines?
- What do you call a small woodwind instrument?
Crazy Canucks Speed Rounds:
- Name as many Cities that start with the letter P as you can in 2 minutes.
- Name as many Crayola crayon big box colors as you can in 2 minutes.
- Name as many NFL teams as you can in 2 minutes.
- Name as many 4 letter words that start with D as you can in 2 minutes.
All bars listed on this page (with blue bold links to their Facebook pages) have food options and even if you are not a total smartypants, they make trivia a fun and enjoyable experience for everyone. Come on out, meet some new people and have a great time.
If you’re not a trivia buff but you enjoy playing cards or shooting darts. Coco Loco’s holds a Cribbage tournament on Mondays starting at 4:00 PM. You can also catch cribbage on Friday’s at 4:00 PM and Darts at 6:30 PM at Feliz Bar & Grill.
I’m not a singer, but I like to listen when my friends sing and Karaoke in San Pedro is quite popular. Start time for most is between 6:30 and 8:00 PM. This schedule also changes depending on high or low tourist season but I’ll do my best to keep it current. These are the more popular places for tourists. Latest update January 2018.
Tuesday: Melt Cafe & Beach Bar with Rasida aka “DJ Red” from Belize Entertainment
Wednesday: Roadkill Bar with Raul from RG’s Entertainment
Thursday: Melt Cafe & Beach Bar with Kenny from Belize Entertainment and Paco’s Tiki Bar with Raul
Friday: The Office, with Country Boy (RG’s) and Corona Del Mar (with their own LeRoi for RG’s) and Amber Beach Bar & Grill with Raul, and Crazy Canucks (after trivia) with Rashida
Saturday: Melt Cafe & Beach Bar with Kenny and Wahoo’s Lounge with Raul
Sunday: Finns Irish Pub and Grill with Raul
Other Belize Nightlife
There is no shortage of places to go and people to meet. Before long you will be easily making friends and seeing familiar people around town. If you want to be in the north beach area, Wayo’s is a great spot in Boca Del Rio as well as the Palapa Bar. Fido’s is a popular “in town” spot for live music. Crazy Canucks also has a great Sunday Jam.
A good thing about Belize nightlife, it is easy to get your vacation party on early and still get a good night sleep. Then you can hopefully wake up fresh for your next adventure. Unless of course, you get panty rippa’d 😉
One (actually two) last fun things to do that happens once or twice a month depending on the demand, is a Poker Run. $25 buy in and the first one starts at Amber Beach Bar at Caribbean Villas Hotel then to Roadkill Bar, Lola’s Pub, Wayo’s Beach Bar and finishes at Pedro’s Hotel.
The second one; San Pedro Poker Run – North is hosted by Coco Loco’s, Truck Stop, Paco’s Tiki Bar, Dive Bar and Feliz Bar & Grill. It has it’s own Facebook Page so you can click through on the link above to see more on that as well.