Since bar trivia is a popular night out here for many, I will go into more detail on that and list a few other options below.
For a small island, I would say Ambergris Caye has a high population of smart people. There many groups that meet up weekly with the shared interest of claiming bragging rights and decent cash prizes 🙂 Three times a week they have the opportunity to test their skills with the trivia hosts quizzing local and tourist teams with random interesting questions about the world we live in. Test your knowledge weekly against fellow trivia buffs at the following local bars:
- Sandbar Hostel Monday Night Trivia: 7:00 pm. Max 5 to a team and $5 a head. The winning team takes the pot. Cindy will find you teammates if need be. It’s always a fun and insightful time.
- Coco Loco’s Tuesday Night Trivia: The only trivia game north of the bridge. Start time is 7:15 pm, there is $5 buy-in, and teams can be up to 4 people. Ms. Cindy gives you the questions here too.
- Crazy Canucks Friday Night Trivia: Start time 7:00 but it is wise to get there early to get a good spot as “Think and Drink” is a popular night and is usually packed. 4 people to a team at $5 each, to play. The first 3 weeks of the month, 1/2 the proceeds go to Ambergris Caye Elementary School and the last Friday of every month part of the proceeds go to San Pedro Red Cross. Owner Rob gives 3 rounds of 7 questions each, and a speed round at the end. The winners of each round each get a specially made shot. In the case of a tie, one player from each team has a drinking or some other type of fun challenge for that coveted shot.
A Sampling of Questions:
- What is the inflammation of the lining surrounding the lungs called?
- Who is Spiderman’s alter ego?
- What do you call a group of porcupines?
- What do you call a small woodwind instrument?
Crazy Canucks Speed Rounds:
- Name as many Cities that start with the letter P as you can in 2 minutes.
- Name as many Crayola crayon big box colors as you can in 2 minutes.
- Name as many NFL teams as you can in 2 minutes.
- Name as many 4 letter words that start with D as you can in 2 minutes.
All bars listed above have food options and even if you are not a total smartypants, they make trivia a fun and enjoyable experience for everyone. Come on out, meet some new people and have a great time.
If you’re not a trivia buff but you enjoy playing cards or learning a new language, Coco Loco’s also holds a Cribbage Tournament on Mondays starting at 4:00 pm and Spanish lessons on Fridays at 5:00 pm.
I’m not a singer, but I like to listen when my friends sing and Karaoke in San Pedro is quite popular. Start time for most is between 7:30 and 8:00 pm. This schedule also changes depending on high or low tourist season but I’ll do my best to keep it current. These are the more popular places for tourists. Latest update March 2017.
Sunday: Caribbean Villas and Island Tackle Bar & Grill with RG’s Entertainment
Tuesday: Melt Cafe with Kenny
Wednesday: Roadkill Bar and Wahoo’s Lounge with RG’s Entertainment
Thursday: Luna Loca with Kenny and Melt Cafe RG’s Entertainment
Friday: Pedro’s Pub and The Office Corona and Del Mar, with RG’s Entertainment, (starts at 6:30) and Crazy Canucks (after “Think & Drink”) with Kenny
Saturday: Wahoo’s Lounge and Sandy Toes with RG’s Entertainment and Melt Cafe with Kenny
If you happen to be in Caye Caulker, RG’s Entertainment also hosts Karaoke at the Sports Bar on Wednesday and Thursday evenings.
Other Belize Nightlife
There is no shortage of places to go and people to meet. Before long you will be easily making friends and seeing familiar people around town. If you want to be in the north beach area, Wayo’s is a great spot in Boca Del Rio as well as the Palapa Bar. Fido’s is a popular “in town” spot for live music. Crazy Canucks also has a great Sunday Jam.
On weekends, it is common to meet at Lola’s or Pedro’s first for a drink and then onto Fido’s to see the band. The night often finishes off with street meat in the park.
A good thing about Belize nightlife, it is easy to get your vacation party on early and still get a good night sleep. Then you can hopefully wake up fresh for your next adventure. Unless of course, you got panty rippa’d 😉
One (actually two) last fun things to do that happens once or twice a month depending on the demand, is a Poker Run. $25 buy in and the first one starts at Amber Beach Bar at Caribbean Villas Hotel then to Roadkill Bar, Lola’s Pub, Wayo’s Beach Bar and finishes at Pedro’s Hotel.
The second one; San Pedro Poker Run – North is hosted by Coco Loco’s, Truck Stop, Paco’s Tiki bar, Dive Bar and Feliz. It has it’s own Facebook Page so you can click through on the link above to see more on that as well.
For a comprehensive calendar of things to do in Belize, check out Paradise Guy.